Leviton USB Outlets are perfect for use in kitchens, bedrooms and home offices - anywhere you charge your devices!
In this blog post, we'll show you step-by-step instructions on how to wire a Leviton USB Outlet/Charger.
Warning: To avoid fire, shock, or death, turn off power at the circuit breaker or fuse and test that the power is off, using a voltage tester, before wiring!
Note: This device is to be installed in a wall box measuring at least 3" x 2" x 2-1/2" (standard single gang electrical wall box) and wired in accordance with NEC article 314 box fill requirements.
1) Remove the wall plate using a flat head screwdriver.
2) Remove the old outlet from the wall box by loosening the screws with your phillips screwdriver.
3) Connect the wires from the wall box to the USB Outlet, as shown below:
Note: Back and Side wire terminals except #14-#12 AWG copper or copper clad wires.
To Side Wire:
(if more than one wire is required on a terminal, you cannot side wire and must use the back wire option)
Using your wire strippers, remove insulation from each wire per the strip gauge found on the back of the device [approx. 3/4" (1.9 cm)].
Make a "shephard's hook" at the end of each wire, using your pliers.
Loop wires clockwise around the terminal screws.
FIRMLY tighten screws over wire loop.
To Back Wire:
Using your wire strippers, remove insulation from each wire [approx. 1/2" ( 1.3 cm)].
Insert the straight wires under clamps next to the appropriate terminal screws.
Tighten screws FIRMLY.
4) Using your phillips screwdriver, mount device in wall box with screws provided.
5) Using your flat head screwdriver, mount the wallplate.
6) Restore power at circuit breaker or fuse. Installation is complete. Go ahead and test your work!