Did you know that the U.S. buried or burned over 166 million tons of resources in landfills and incinerators last year?
We have a collection of quick and simple energy saving tips.
Aside from turning off lights and saving water, here are some ways to reduce the amount of waste you produce:
- Start a compost bin – Pick a place in your yard where you can dispose of certain food and plant materials. The compost is good for your soil and it reduces the amount of garbage going to the landfill
- Use a computer - Instead of buying paper versions, you can find newspapers and magazines on the Internet
- If you receive unwanted advertisements and other junk mail, you can stop the mailings and reduce waste by requesting to be taken off their distribution list
Rather than throwing things away, try to find another use for them!
- Save some trees by bringing your Leviton reusable bags or other cloth sacks to the store with you instead of taking home new paper or plastic bags
- Bring your lunch to work in plastic containers and reusable lunch bags
- Use silverware and dishes instead of disposable plastic utensils and plates
- Use both sides while writing on paper
- Don't dispose of clothes, toys, furniture, and other things that you don't want anymore. Instead, bring them to a center that collects donations, give them to friends, or have a yard sale
So many of the things that we use every day are made of recyclable materials that can be processed to make new products!
- Buy products that contain recycled materials - Many brands will tell you on their labels if they are made from recycled materials
- If your town doesn’t collect recycling bins from your home, there are recycling centers where you can drop off the materials you've collected
- Things like paper and plastic grocery bags, and plastic and aluminum cans and bottles can often be brought to the grocery store for recycling
- Whatever your system is, it’s important to do your part in keeping our environment clean!
You can also check out Leviton's full range of Energy Management solutions.